In January 2020, the Netherlands closed a chapter in its national team career with a dramatic defeat (2: 3) to Turkey in the semi-finals of the Olympic qualifying tournament in Apeldoorn Wallach. It has been almost two and a half years since the Imoco Volley Conegliano volleyball player wore the national uniform. He won the League of Nations against South Korea (3: 0).
SEE ALSO: In FIVB Rankings: Polish volleyball players are still second, Polish women are 10th
– I did not notice that it was my first game after the break and I was not in this squad for so long. The volleyball player told PAP that I just focused on introducing myself as well as possible and getting into this group well.
And this group, according to the player, has changed a lot in recent years. This does not include, at least temporarily, volleyball players Malvina Smarzek and Magdalena Stysiak, who founded the national team. As Wołosz added, this is a new team for him.
– I haven’t played with most of the girls in the squad yet. They are the same in the middle, Marysia Stenzel na libero and Martyna Lukasik in the party. Olivia Rosański was called up to the national team, but did not spend much time on the field. That’s why I always meet these girls, he said.
On the other hand, the new head coach Stefano Lavarini is no stranger to him, because he spent seven years on the courts of Serie A, on the other hand, did not have the opportunity to work with him.
– I knew coach Lavarini very well, of course, but from the other side of the network. That is why we always know each other. There are no language barriers because we can communicate in two languages. However, it is important to build mutual trust as soon as possible, and together try to make the most of this representation. I really appreciate these two weeks of working together – he explained.
According to him, the white-red coach pays a lot of attention to details and tries to give moral support to the players, giving them confidence.
– In his opinion, in order to play at the highest level, it is necessary to do these details, the simplest things blindfolded. In addition, he tries to work hard individually, both during training and during the break in the match. In this way, he tries to gain self-confidence so that the girls do not hesitate to show that they really can. In addition, you can see the great variety of training. I do not think that two exercises in a row were the same, – he explained.
Wołosz does not hide that after the tiring season, which ended with the final of the Champions League on May 22 (Imoko VakifBank lost to Istanbul 1: 3), he did not even have the opportunity to take a short vacation.
– In fact, I had time to rest … 24 hours. Even after the Champions League final, I was in Italy for the next two days, I had club responsibilities – meetings with sponsors, fans. Then I returned to my country, I only had Thursday. Therefore, I did not take part in the first two matches. Together with coach Lavarini, we agreed that it would be better to look at the team through a square prism and at the same time get some rest, he explained.
As of Tuesday, the Polish women are in Daejeon, Korea, preparing for the next tournament in the Philippines. Vołosz does not hide that the team is just getting used to the Asian time zone.
– When traveling to Canada and just switching to local time was not a big problem for us, now our work is broken and we are a little tired. Sometimes it’s hard, but now it’s a good idea to be in Korea and adapt to that time. Next week, when the tournament starts, we will only be able to focus on playing well and not think about sleeping badly at night, he said.
In Quezon City, Philippines, the white-red team will play undefeated Japan, as well as the United States, Thailand and Belgium.
– A more difficult tournament awaits us than in the United States. We will play with very strong teams, even Thailand showed very well in the first matches. We end the tournament with a match against Belgium and we must look for a victory here as well, Volosz concluded.