Staying in Ostrówek, near Warsaw, marked the end of the secular phase of Helena Kowalska’s life, and later of St. Petersburg. Faustina. In a small village in the Klembow commune, he worked for the Lipszyc family for a year. After this period, at the age of 20, the future saint set out on the path of holy life. On April 30, 2000, he was consecrated by Pope John Paul II.
Helena was the third of ten children in the Marianna and Stanisław Kowalski family, farmers from the village of Głogowiec near Łęczyca. He finished primary school in just three years because of his family’s difficult financial situation.
In 1921, when she was a sixteen-year-old girl, Alexandrov left his family’s house and began to run a house in Lodz and Lodz.
At the age of eighteen, he informed his parents of his intention to join the monastery, but he did not receive their support, so he tried to silence his call. However, God did not allow me to be forgotten.
Helena Kowalska (Photo: faustyna.pl)
“It was then that his decision to live up to his call was influenced by what he saw at a dance party in Lodz,” says Rachel Rachel from the Sisters of Mercy Jesus of Ostrowek.
– During a prayer in the Holy Cathedral. While Stanislaus Kostka was praying in Lodz before the Blessed Sacrament, Jesus ordered him to go to Warsaw. There, many religious communities refused. Finally, his daughter was received by the head of the House of the Sisters’ Community of Mercy. Żytnia in Warsaw, provided that Helena earns the necessary dowry – adds the nun.
– Layette for order was normal at that time. Sister Rachel says that the monasteries required dowry to protect them from the possible reception of IDPs or people who left their homes due to difficult financial circumstances.
No doubt Helena prayed to St. Peter during this time of trial. Jacob Ochota in Warsaw for more guidance. During the prayer, he heard Jesus say that the local pastor, Fr. Jacob Dąbrowski. A little surprised, the clergyman listened to the young girl and advised her to work for the Lipszyc family in Ostrówek, near Warsaw.
Lipszyc family, Ostrówek near Warsaw (priest Wojciech Lipka / domfaustyny0)
– Father Dąbrowski used to be a pastor at a church in Klembów, where Ostrówek lived. He knew the Lipszyc family and knew that they were looking for someone to help with childcare and housework. Helena wrote a recommendation. In a short time, the Lipszyc family met the girl in ul. Smolna is in Warsaw and took him home – explains Sister Rachela.
Thus, Ostrówek was a place where he could earn the required dowry.
Thus, in July 1924, Helena Kowalska visited the Lipschik family, where she remained until August 1, 1925. At the time, she worked as a housekeeper and babysitter for Aldona and Samuel Lipschik’s family for a year. He took care of Maria, Tadeusz, Zofia, Leopold and Nina.
– The Lipschik family hired him and knew that his stay with them was due to the need to prepare for the monastery. Sister Rachela says that Helena donated the money she earned each month to the Sisters’ Society of Our Lady of Warsaw, which she visited every month while she worked in Ostrowek.
Aldona Lipszyc’s husband, Samuel, was Jewish and was baptized before the wedding. Although all the children of the Lipszyc family were baptized, they were not a religious family who came to church every week.
The religious situation of the Lipschik family did not affect Faustina’s spiritual life. Also, despite many activities, the girl was not indifferent to her religious life – she joined the masses. and services at the Church of the SubGenius in Clembow.
His religiosity earned him the respect and recognition of his employers. “Helena herself was a very restrained person, who in no way applied her religion to others, including the small children she looked after,” recalls Sister Rachel.
Lipszyc Family (Photo: Lipszyc Family Archive / domfaustyny.pl)
From the memories of members of the Lipszyc family, especially Aldona’s employer, Helena proved to be a thorough, hardworking and dedicated person, appreciated and respected.
He is remembered as someone who loved to laugh, cheerfully, cheerfully. Her hair was a little smooth and red. Beautiful, kind, slightly chilly face.
He also won the trust of children who liked him very much. – Maria is the oldest girl, and I think that Helenka’s patron, probably the most religious, said that she learned to sing church songs from her, she was among others. Sister Rachel adds, “When the auroras rise in the morning,” or “I must worship the Secret Jesus in the sacrament.”
All this meant that Helena was treated by her employers as a member of her family. Aldona Lipszyc even wanted to marry him.
“Helena’s employer’s plans led the future saint to decide to take a personal oath of chastity even before joining the monastery in June 1925,” she said.
On August 1, 1925, after working in the Lipszyc family, Helena Kowalska moved to Warsaw, ul. Żytnia Street and the postulate began.
Through him, the Lord Jesus conveyed to all mankind the message that He did not want to punish, but wanted to heal him by holding him in His merciful heart.
Sister Faustina Kowalska was consecrated on April 30, 2000 by Pope John Paul II.
History has taken a turn, and the Lipschik family, where Sister Faustina works, now has sisters of the Merciful Jesus. This was by the decision of Archbishop Henrik Hoser, who wanted the mansion to be both a prayer center and a place of pilgrimage and formation, especially for young people to understand their profession.
– Like the sisters of the Community of the Merciful Jesus, founded by Bl. Fr. Michał Sopoćka asked us to look at the former property of the Lipszyc family, the house where Faustina stayed and everything that was built later, – says Sister Rachela from the meeting.
Until the 21st century, the house was kept in its original condition. In June 2009, the property was acquired by the Warsaw-Prague diocese.
Restored in the style of the 20th century. Twentieth century. A new roof has been installed and one of the balconies has been renovated. On the first floor, stoves, windows, doors and stairs, as well as the floor remained unchanged.
Currently, St. House. Faustina is open to visitors. He was solemnly blessed by the Card in 2011. Robert Sarah, then President of the Corporal Council of Cor Unum.
Ostrówek has workshops, individual retreats and days of remembrance, for example, using the lectio divina method.
In September 2018, the House of Pilgrims was consecrated and put into operation. st. Faustina, among others, serves as a place of prayer for the retreating groups.
In late 2020, the Bishop of Warsaw-Prague, Romuald Kamiński, founded the Rector’s Church in Ostrówek near the House of St. Faustina, which is located in the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary – Eparchy. St. Faustina.
The decision was dictated by the moral goodness of the believers and the development of the St. Petersburg cult. Mr. Faustina Kovalska.
– Today, the Hermitage is created for those who want to remain in silence and solitude with God, who are experiencing crises or discovering their profession – adds Rachel.
Every day at 15.00 Sisters from the Community of the Merciful Jesus invite you to pray with the Chapleti of Divine Mercy. They also pray for the intentions that can be sent to the sisters by email or phone.
Currently in the Holy House. Faustina in Ostrówek, there are refugees from Ukraine, mostly women and children.
The next prayer meeting is likely to take place in June 2022.
The latest information on religious events in Ostrówek can be found on the website of St. Petersburg. Faustina, led by the sisters of the Merciful Jesus.