Poisonous plants: yew, poppy, lilies of the valley, Sosnowski borscht, euonymus

Yew is a coniferous tree or large shrub commonly found in gardens, parks and forests. Yew is characterized by short needles and red fruit in the form of blueberries. The most poisonous part of this plant is the needles and seeds inside the red berries, but eating any other part of it can cause symptoms of poisoning. The most dangerous compounds in yew shrubs include: taxi, taxi, taxol and glycosides cyanogen. These compounds are absorbed very quickly in the digestive system, and the first symptoms may appear 30 minutes after consuming the plant.

When they are lured to the red balls on the branches, children who reach them willingly, thinking that they are edible fruit, are especially at risk of poisoning.

Symptoms of yew poisoning include:

  • nausea,
  • stomach pain,
  • foamy vomit
  • dizziness,
  • drowsiness,
  • slows your breathing.

If any part of the yew bush is eaten, you should go to the nearest hospital immediately. After poisoning, patients, especially children, should be under constant medical supervision if their health deteriorates.

Poppy seeds are an annual plant, usually associated with red, delicate flower petals. Poppies are often found in wild meadows or fields because their cultivation, for example, in the garden, requires special permission. Planting poppies at home is prohibited by law and can result in fines or imprisonment. Poppy cultivation is strictly regulated, because opium is used to make strong medicines. All this is due to the many substances contained in poppy, which affect the nervous system of both humans and animals. There are about 7,000 in the seed capsule (poppy seed). seeds and poppy seeds morphine. In addition, it contains poppy codeine, papaverine, tebaine. The poppy stem and seed sac are the most toxic to humans. The first symptoms appear about 8 hours after taking opium poppy.

Symptoms poppy poisoning this:

  • stomach ache
  • nausea
  • shrinkage of students
  • slow heart rate
  • muscle tremors
  • hyperactivity
  • increase in blood pressure

The lily of the valley is a popular flower with white flowers resembling bells. It is often chosen as a decoration for home vases. It also often decorates home gardens and creates white and green carpets. Lilies of the valley are also chosen to create wreaths or other union ornaments, especially since their flowering period falls in May – the month of unity.

But you should know that every part of the lily of the valley is poisonous and powerful cardiac glycosidesused in the manufacture of medicines. You do not need to eat lilies to be poisoned. To irritate the skin or mucous membranes, it is enough to touch the mouth or eyes after contact with the flower.

Symptoms poisoning lily of the valley includes:

  • chest density,
  • Cardiac arrhythmia,
  • blurred vision,
  • dizziness,
  • nausea.

After consuming the berries of lily of the valley or any other part of it, you first feel a jump. blood pressure and increased heart rate. After that, the heart rate slows down until it arrives suddenly arrest Circulation. In case of suspicion of poisoning by lilies of the valley, you should constantly monitor the basic vital functions and call an ambulance as soon as possible.

It should also be remembered that lilies of the valley are poisonous to animals. Dogs, cats and other pets can also be poisoned by lilies of the valley and require urgent veterinary intervention.

Wash your hands thoroughly after each contact with the plant and remember not to touch the mini eyes, mouth or nose.

Sosnowski borscht is a plant that can be found in the wild, in areas that grow wild, but is also increasingly seen in areas inhabited by humans. in residential areas or single-family homes. Sosnowski’s borsch can be mixed with dill, as it is a tall plant (up to 4 meters) with white leaves spread over the trunk in the form of a “roof”.

This is what is dangerous for the plant furanocoumarins – Dangerous compounds that cause extensive 2nd and 3rd degree burns with blisters when exposed to sunlight and in contact with human skin. There have been cases where burns with this plant resulted in the death of the wounded.

The reaction on contact with Sosnowski borscht depends on the external temperature. The hotter it is, the wider the burns. Visual symptoms appear within 30 minutes after contact with the plant.

Initially, where it comes in contact with the plant, redness appears later numerous blisters. Changed skin this is frustrating and very itchy. The skin becomes inflamed within a few days, then the burn area darkens and the skin may remain in this state for several months.

Immediate medical intervention is required after contact with the plant and the burn area should be provided as it may result in non-interference with the burns. necrosis skin.

Euonymus is often chosen as a shrub that forms hedges in gardens or estates. It reaches a height of 3 meters and is a spreading branch, so the cover is ideal for fencing as a bush. Euonymus bears fruit in the form of small, red and fleshy balls, gathered in several groups on one branch. Although every part of Euonymus is poisonous, it is the fruit that has the most toxic effects on the human body. Euonymus contains glycosides: evobiozid and evomonoside. A toxic dose is considered to be the consumption of about 30 euonymus fruits, and the first symptoms appear only after a few hours, which allows the toxin to spread throughout the body during this time.

Down Symptoms of euonymus fruit poisoning includes:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • chills
  • Cardiac arrhythmia

Poisoning by euonymus without first aid, can be ends in death as a result of heart problems and sudden cardiac arrest.

ALSO READ:

Burns – how to properly provide first aid

Charcoal in the home medicine cabinet. Defeating toxins

Leave a Comment