Threatening sensitivity. What can we get from a favorite pet?

They are members of our family, they live and sleep with us. Unfortunately, even a person’s best friends can transmit dangerous diseases

An ambulance called to a 70-year-old British woman found her in a chair, unconscious. Although his condition initially improved at the hospital, on the fourth day he developed diarrhea, severe headache, fever and kidney failure. A blood test showed a bacterial infection Capnocytophaga canimorsus. It is often found in the mouths of cats and dogs, without harming them. Meanwhile, it can cause life-threatening sepsis in humans. The woman recovered after a two-week hospital stay and intensive antibiotic therapy.

There are a total of 13 cases of sepsis in the UK Capnocytophaga canimorsus. For every third patient, the infection ended tragically in 60 percent of cases. In some cases, the infection occurred as a result of dog bites. However, in a 70-year-old British girl, the infection was caused by her pet licking her frequently and gently.

“Diseases transmitted to humans from pets are an underestimated problem,” he said. Jason Stull, a veterinarian at Ohio State University. – If you have been diagnosed with an infection Capnocytophaga canimorsus, often only he and the doctor know about it. It is completely different, for example, in the case of salmonella – here the sanitary services are informed about each case, which confirms the diagnosis and monitors the number of cases.

Of course, owning a dog or cat has many advantages. Studies have shown that animals have a positive effect on the condition of patients suffering from heart disease, as well as the mental health of all family members. However, it should be remembered that these benefits come with a serious risk of infection.

PATHOGENS IN OUR BED

Almost half of Poles have pets in their homes. 83 percent of them. lives with a dog and 44. percent with a cat – according to the TNS Polska report “Pets in Polish homes.” Dogs and cats share with us not only the rooms, but often the beds. Studies show that one-third of the 60 million American dogs sleep with their owners. Cats are even more expensive – in Western countries, the privilege of nesting in a bed set is between 45-60 percent. From them. According to scientists associated with One Health, this is a worrying trend. The number of zoonotic diseases is growing every year. Maybe we don’t follow hygiene, so we are to blame. The list of sins includes not only sleeping in the same bed as a dog or cat, but also kissing pets and allowing them to lick their faces or hands.

However, most infections can occur when a person is bitten by an animal. One percent of all hospitalized patients in the United States and Europe apply to ER for a cat or dog injury

PLUMBLE IN BED

In the 1970s, several people in the United States became ill with cholera. One of the unfortunate patients, who left her cat to sleep in the bed, saw her being bitten by a flea in the morning. Apparently, they are infected with the bacteria that cause the disease. In 2008, several more plagues were reported. Here, too, animals, especially dogs that brought bees home, were to blame. Plague in dogs, unlike cats, does not cause symptoms that could alert a person to dealing with a sick animal.

In most cases, wounds caused by dogs are predominant (80%), but cat bites are more likely to cause health problems. The cat’s teeth are cut sharper and deeper. It is estimated to be 20-80 percent. Cats are infected with bites, and in dogs it is only 3-18 percent. The most common infections are bacteria Pasteurella multocida and Pasteurella canis. They can even cause meningitis. Unfortunately, this dangerous disease can be transmitted even when a pet licks us. Prof. Bruno Chomel of the University of California, Berkeley, said there are many such cases involving young children in developing infectious diseases. The disease almost always occurs when a baby is lying or sniffing by a dog or cat. In one family, a cat stole the pacifier of a baby less than a month old and played with it. Adults did not disinfect the pacifier – as a result, the child developed meningitis.

Leave a Comment